If you are into watching live streams by video gamers, vloggers, or other content creators or love to stream yourself, then you will have heard of Twitch. Twitch is a content streaming platform that allows anyone to stream various content, such as games, music, vlogs, and more. Esports has become such a big phenomenon partly because of Twitch.
There have been multiple Esports tournaments because of Twitch and live streaming. Games like Valorant, League of Legends, Overwatch, and many more have championships and tournaments that are streamed to various live-streaming websites and have garnered widespread attention.
Even with rising competition from YouTube’s own live streaming facility, the newly launched streaming site Kick, and multiple rules and regulations that look like they do not favor the content creators, Twitch is the top streaming site out there.
The best part about Twitch, compared to other live streaming apps, is its interactive chats. You can donate money and gift subs and interact with creators in a more fun way than, say, YouTube’s Super Chat. Twitch can also be used as a means to educate and learn through live tutorials.
But what if you want to stream on Twitch using a gaming console like a PlayStation or Xbox or on an Android device? To do so, you will first need to activate your account on said devices. But before that, let us see how to create a Twitch account if you are new to this sort of thing.
Setting Up Your Twitch.tv Account
All users are required to sign up to Twitch if they want to stream, though you are able to watch some content without signing up. Some creators might also require you to create an account and subscribe to their channels in order to use their live chat. Let us now see how to create your Twitch account.
- Start by visiting the Twitch.tv website to create your new account.
- Click on the “Sign up” button at the top-right corner, which is next to the “Log In” button(which can be used if you already have an account).
- Enter a username(it should follow Twitch’s guidelines) and use a strong password. Note these credentials, as you would need them any time you log out or are using Twitch on a different device.
- In the next step, fill in your date of birth and mobile number. Remember, you must be at least 13 years of age to sign in to Twitch.
- Verify your phone number using the unique code received(if you don’t have a phone number, click on “Use email instead” to receive the code in your email).
- Click on the “Sign Up” button on completion of the previous steps.
- Done! Now you can stream your content to the millions on Twitch!
Now let’s get on with activating your Twitch account on gaming consoles and Android devices.
Activating Twitch.tv Account on PlayStation
If you want to activate your Twitch account on a PlayStation, you have to first install the Twitch app via the PlayStation Store. Keep another device near you when you are trying to activate your account on the PlayStation console. This is for you to receive the activation code. You need to have an active account to proceed.
This step is useful for all PlayStation consoles that can support streaming, ie. PlayStation 4, PlayStation 4 Pro, and PlayStation 5(and the PlayStation Digital Edition).
- First, install the Twitch app from the PlayStation Store on your PlayStation.
- Now, open the Twitch app, click on the “Log In” button, and enter the account login details that you created and noted earlier.
- The six-digit code you now see on your screen is your activation code. Note this down, as you’ll need it soon to activate your Twitch account on your PlayStation.
- On the other device, open the browser and visit https://twitch.tv/activate.
- Here, sign in to your active account you made prior to this and enter the six-digit code you noted earlier on your PlayStation.
- Now, click on the “Activate” button. There! Now you have an active Twitch account on your PlayStation!
You can stream at a maximum of 1080p, 60 FPS on both the PlayStation 4 Pro and the PlayStation 5, and at a maximum of 720p, 30 FPS on the PlayStation 4. Twitch also has a cap on the maximum resolution and frame rate, which is 1080p at 60FPS.
Activating Twitch.tv Account on Xbox
Similar to activating Twitch on a PlayStation, activating your Twitch account on Xbox is also really easy to do. You will need a Twitch account and another device handy, just like it was for the PlayStation consoles.
- Let us start by installing the Twitch app from the Microsoft Store on your Xbox.
- Open the Twitch app, click on “Log In” and enter your login details.
- Now you will have received an Xbox activation code. Note this for further use.
- On the other device, open the browser and visit twitch.tv/activate.
- Enter the activation code here.
- Click on “Activate” and voila! You have activated your Twitch account on your Xbox.
The above steps can also be used for various Xbox consoles, such as the Xbox Series X/S and Xbox One. As per Twitch, you can only stream at a maximum of 720p on the Xbox One and at a maximum of 1080p on the Xbox Series X/S. Both the consoles are still capped at 30 FPS when streaming on Twitch.
Activating Twitch.tv Account on an Android
On an Android device, it is easy to stream and watch content through Twitch, provided your phone is capable of handling the necessary streaming requirements. While there are no official minimum requirements to stream via a smartphone, you would need at least 6 GB of RAM as well as a mid-range processor for streams to not look laggy or choppy.
Let’s see how to activate your Twitch account on your Android device.
- Using the browser on your Android device, visit Twitch.tv’s website.
- Now, click on the “Sign Up” button to create a new account(or the “Log In” button if you have already created an account).
- You can create an account by signing up and entering a username and a strong password. Note that you must create a username that is according to Twitch’s guidelines.
- Now, enter your date of birth and phone number. You need to give a working phone number to activate Twitch on your Android device. If you do not have a working phone number, click on “Use email instead” to receive the code in your email.
- You will have received a six-digit code on your phone or in your email address. This code is important and you should note it down for the next step.
- Enter this six-digit code into the field in the browser.
- Click on the “Submit” button. Wait for Twitch to verify the code and click on “Done” to confirm. Your account should be verified and activated.
- Now, install the Twitch app on your Android device and log into the now-verified account. Now you can watch AND stream through your Android device. How convenient!
Twitch has enabled many in the world to share and enjoy content that caters to their needs. Anyone can carve out a little niche on the website and grow large if they work hard enough. Regular streams and interactions will help a creator with their reach. The more the reach and views, the more the revenue earned.
Gaming is what Twitch is traditionally known for, but in recent years, more creators have focused on just chatting with their followers and doing “in real life” or IRL streams. In such streams, creators just chill or showcase what their day-to-day lives are to their subscribers.
Top creators like Ninja, Pokimane, moistcr1tikal, TommyInnit, etc. stream online games and are considered to be the cream of the crop, while creators like Jinnytty, QTCinderella, robcdee, jakenbakelive, and more are mostly IRL streamers, even though many of them dabble on both sides.
Another set of creators known as VTubers are those who stream content while under the disguise of a 3D character. We can hear their voice, but we can only see the 3D character mimicking the creators’ movements. They mostly stream games as well but may try out other niches as well.
Minecraft, one of the most popular games, was once the site’s most streamed game. But it got quickly overthrown by streams of games like League of Legends, Valorant, Grand Theft Auto V, and other games that were released after it. But Mincecraft is still being streamed by the likes of streamers such as TommyInnit, ElSpreen, Dream, Auronplay, and more.
Twitch can be accessed by just anyone with a decent Android phone and internet connection. You will need to subscribe to most top creators if you wish to view their content, and in most cases, subscriptions are paid. But there are plenty of free channels to view without even logging in.
In this article we learned that Twitch can be accessed through gaming consoles like PlayStation, Xbox, and on Android devices, provided your account has been activated on said devices.