BSNL Wings was launched in 2018 and was first in the Indian telecom sector. This service allows users to have a sim-less virtual mobile connection that we can use anywhere in the country. Until its launch in 2018 VoIP based calling service was not allowed in India. Later, BSNL got the permission to launch the first VoIP based calling service in India.
As we explained in our previous article, explaining what is BSNL Wings and how to get the connection, it is an app-based calling service available in the country which works on both Wifi and Mobile data.
There is no physical SIM card and device in this service. Instead, users can use it on any mobile with the help of any SIP-based application or BSNL’s own official Wings Mobile application.
Read: What is BSNL Wings and How Much it Cost to get a New Connection ?
Benefits of BSNL Wings
- It is a SIM less connection and completely based on application. So you can use it on any smartphone along with your normal SIM numbers. If you are using a dual SIM phone, then Wings can be used as a 3rd number on the same phone.
- It works on both the Wifi and Mobile data of any operator.
- Can be used on more than one mobile at a time (we can receive an incoming call on any one device at a time)
- It can be used on desktop or laptop also
- You will instantly get a virtual mobile number after registration, no need to go to any retail shop or customer service center. All the processes can be done online.
- Complete free one year calling within India for the first year as a promotion, but a one-time deposit of Rs. 1099/- is needed. Including GST, it is Rs. 1297/-
- World’s cheapest International Roaming charge which let you to make calls to India from International Destination at a rate of Rs. 1.2 per minute. All the incoming calls while in International roaming are free.
Read: How to Activate International Roaming Facility On BSNL Prepaid Mobile Number ?
If you are planning to take the new BSNL Wings connection, you need to consider the following facts before that. Then only decide to take it for you or not. We took a new connection for the review, and here the points are based on our experience with that.
Related: How to Cancel BSNL Wings Connection
- You are paying Rs. 1297 for one year and get one year free outgoing and incoming calls within India. But you will not get any data benefit or SMS with this.
- Today, all the operators, including BSNL providing annual plans with unlimited calls, SMS, and data at a rate between Rs. 1400 to Rs 2000 on prepaid connection. So it doesn’t make sense to buy wings for only calls.
- If you use mobile data, then in most cases you are getting free calls also, then Wings will be of no use for you.
- If you are living in a remote area where a mobile network is weak or not available, but you have access to a wifi connection, then you can go for Wings.
- BSNL recently introduced their own mobile application for the service, but unfortunately, the application is buggy. It crashed each time and went offline frequently. We hope it will become stable soon.
- It is designed to work in both wifi and mobile data. We tested it on Jio and Idea mobile data, and it is working fine. But with our Wifi network, it is not working. In some wifi connections, if your router gives you a different WAN IP than that of the public IP, it also causes a problem in connection.
- Earlier, it offered unlimited calls for the whole year, but currently, BSNL Wings only offers 1800 minutes of outgoing calls per month. It would help if you kept in mind that BSNL Wings is a postpaid connection, and the corresponding bills will reach you over email after one year.
- It is mentioned as the World’s cheapest International roaming service provider. But unfortunately the IR service is not working in all the location as like BSNL says. To get International Roaming and ISD service on your wings number, you need to deposit an Rs amount. 2000 (refundable).
The unfortunate thing happened to us is that, as we called the customer care number, they told us that, it is working in all the location, and hence we did the IR/ISD activation. But the registration doesn’t happen. Next, we opened the ticket mentioning the issue, and we got the response that it is not working in some countries, including the one we are testing. We are directed to demand a refund of Rs. 2000.
- The refund amount of Rs. 2000 can be collected only from the nearest customer care office.
- If you are using a Wings connection, we prefer to contact the support team via ticket from the NGN portal, as they are the only person know something about the service. Please don’t call the customer care number (1500 or 1503) as they are not giving correct answers.
- If you plan to take BSNL Wings the connection to make calls from the International location using the IR service, check with them the country you are looking for is available with their service.
Read: Official BSNL Wings Mobile Application to Make VoIP Calls Launched For Android
Read: Procedure for BSNL 4G SIM Upgrade by SMS (Not an Online Method)
Note: If you have any questions regarding this, please mention that in the comment section below. We will provide answers for that.
56 thoughts on “Few Things to Consider before taking BSNL Wings Virtual Mobile Number”
have you tested to work with a Wifi connection in office environment provided by your employer?
Its not working for you ?
Does wings service work in Kuwait – Is it true that now there is free international roaming
Wings is not working in all the international locations. Please check with the customer care, if it works in the location, all the incoming calls will be free whereas outgoing call will be charged at Rs. 1.2
Hi, I have activated international roaming on my bsnl wings number however it is still not working in Canada.
If the service is activated, you need to enable the IR option from the BSNL Wings app. If you are using any third-party app, then you need to change the hostname manually.
I am using wings in UAE for past 1 year and 3 month now (configured in GS Wave app).
wings won’t work in UAE without using a VPN. so i am using ExpressVPN (paid 99$ for 15 month) and connecting to Indian server.
i am making daily calls to my family and so far not face any issue.
first one year is completely free, second year i paid fixed annual charges Rs.1296.
only 1800 minutes are free (worth Rs.550), beyond they will charge 30p/minuts.
i got December bill and bill due amount is Rs.177
How you are connecting Express VPN in UAE. here this vpn not Connecting to any server..
Actually I am using VPNsecure for Wings.. Since one month bsnl wings not registering to server.
Now I want use other VPN..
Yes, ExpressVPN is not working in UAE. You can use some other VPN like ZoogVPN which is also a decent one with cheap subscription plans. You can check that https://zoogvpn.com/3-years-best-vpn-offer?ref=uvtyrt
You mean 1800 minutes for annual or month
1800 minutes per month, you can make 1800 minutes of outgoing calls each month for the whole 1 year.
Can you configure wings with a CISCO VoIP SIP phone?
Yes it is possible. It is possible with any SIP device or App
i am book a wings number booking through online after paying not recive wings pin
Please contact the customer care with the booking details.
Was your issue resolved? If yes, how? I’m facing the same, applied, paid and ko response over 15 days. Please share your experience
I am an existing subscriber of BSNL Wings, I am able to use this connection on GS Wave apps on Android.
1) Can we configure Messaging service, if you which apps does support messaging service?
2) Connection status in GS Wave apps shows offline frequently.
Is there any configuration setting to keep service always online, I tried my best but I was unsuccessful.
1. Messaging option is unavailable in BSNL Wings and you cannot use that.
2. Try with another app like Zoiper to see whether your account is working fine. Then we can find the issue with GS Wave. however, Zoiper is better than GS Wave I think
International Roaming is not activated for the Wings number. When asked they asked me to pay deposit, how to pay it?
Yes, you need to pay a deposit of Rs. 2000/- It can be paid online via the same website where u applied for the connection. Continue with the same mobile number and pin code you will see the current wings connection details there in the dashboard. There you can pay the ISD deposit amount.
I am using WINGS for more than one year. And i haven’t paid 2000 deposit. 2000 deposit is required if customer wish to call the local numbers users wings. But i am using WINGS only to call Indian numbers.
2000 deposit is for ISD and International Roaming activation and usage. It is only needed of you wish to call numbers outside India or you wish to use your Wings number abroad. If you are living in India and only calling Indian numbers. No need for 2000 deposit.
I have applied for a new BSNL Wings Connection but haven’t received the pin. Could you kindly help.
Registration Date – 05/Jul7/2020 11:27:53 am
It should be received within minutes. You can contact the local customer care and they will help you.
Hi Mr. Vipin
I am using wings with Gswave app from past 2 years. Now i am getting registeredfail to SIP.
what does it mean. what to do now
From my experience, it is better to use Zoiper rather than GS Wave. But it is bit complicated to configure Zoiper App. If you find any difficulty you can refer this tutorial https://www.techrounder.com/android-apps/zoiper-settings-to-configure-bsnl-wings/
Apart from BSNL Wings, what are the other options available for INDIA.
There is only one VoIP service available and it is BSNL Wings. Similar service is VoWifi but it is different from BSNL Wings. Check this for more details https://www.techrounder.com/telecom/wifi-calling-vs-wings-voip-calling-which-one-is-better/
Hi Vipin, I am facing two issues and it will be helpful if you can share your experience. I got the wings number activated last week but i dont get any incoming calls. Do i need to wait or change any setting ?
Also on vpn using Indian IP, all the SIP apps fail to register. Is there anything specific I need to change,?
Are you trying to use the service from outside India? I request you to try configuring using Zoiper and check whether you are able to receive calls. https://www.techrounder.com/android-apps/zoiper-settings-to-configure-bsnl-wings/
Off late BSNL Wings is not working on Jio and my home wifi. How do register ticket on NGN portal. I am not able to see an option for the same. Please guide.
Unfortunately, they removed the ticket option from the website. Now you need to contact any nearest customer service center to resolve your issue.
Hi Vipin, Nice info. I’m looking only for OTP option and i’m out of India, Do you recommend BSNL wings is good for this?
No, Wings is only for Calling, the SMS feature is not available. So for OTP purposes, it is of no use.
(1)Is it true that both the caller and the called should be subscribers to Wings ?
(2) Can a BSNL subscriber make calls to the subscribers of other service providers like Airtel, et cetera?
1. No need, if you are using wings, you can call users on any network
2. Sure, Wings customers can call on any number in India (mobile and landline). Also possible to make ISD calls (need to activate ISD service)
Thanks a lot, Mr. Vipin!
Can I retain my existing mobile number to make and receive calls on wings?
Can you make it more clear, please?
I got 16 digit PIN, but during NGN activation showing Incorrect PIN
Is that showing the same all the time?
1.Is there any option to know about current bill? how much it is charged If I used it in outside India to call my home in India
You will get your bill every month at your registered email address. You can see all the usage in each bill. If the usage is beyond the free limit, you can see the bill amount there, otherwise, it will be zero.
Hi Vipin, thank you for your reply.
Yes, international roaming is active, I am using GS Wave app. Can you please provide the settings.
It would help if you changed the outbound proxy. Please add “ir.” in front of the existing outbound proxy.
For example, if your existing proxy address is “blr.sbc.ims.bsnl.in:80” then change it to “ir.blr.sbc.ims.bsnl.in:80”
Then try again.
i need 2 sim for BSNL ASIM PLAN , whether this is service is giving by BSNL ?
BSNL Aseem Plan is a Landline forward Plan, so you won’t get any SIM card for this Plan.
Hai Vipin ,
I am Ranjith. I have a bsnl-wings active connection from last 9month. But i never received any 16 digit pin after registration!!! But my wings number working well… Can you please help me in this. I made a complaint registration in bsnl customer service. But NO response till now. I dont know how to get it. Also in that complaint i requested to change my registered mobile number. BSNL Executive told he changed the number. But still in portal my old number showing…Brother can you help? Also i want to activate ISD/IR facility.
If your Wings number is active and is working well, then no need to worry. It might be automatically activated. In that case, no need to worry about the 16 digit PIN. Also, to change the number, you need to contact them again and ask them to do it. It depends on the one who handles your request. Sadly, we need to keep followup on the matter to get it done.
Does it work in hongkong
Can we choose any number of our choice in BSNL WINGS
You can select from the available list during the registration.
Will it work outside india with indian vpn server without paying the 2000 deposit?
It should work with Indian IP if you are using VPN.