BSNL Wings was launched in 2018 and was first in the Indian telecom sector. This service allows users to have a sim less virtual mobile connection that we can use anywhere in the country. Until its launch in 2018 VoIP based calling service was not allowed in India. Later, BSNL got the permission to launch the first VoIP based calling service in India.
As we explained in our previous article, explaining what is BSNL Wings and how to get the connection, it is an app-based calling service available in the country which works on both Wifi and Mobile data.
There is no physical SIM card and device in this service. Users can use it on any mobile with the help of any SIP-based application or BSNL’s own official Wings Mobile application.
Benefits of BSNL Wings
- It is a SIM less connection and completely based on application. So you can use it on any smartphone along with your normal SIM numbers. If you are using a dual SIM phone, then Wings can be used as a 3rd number on the same phone.
- It works on both the Wifi and Mobile data of any operator.
- Can be used on more than one mobile at a time (we can receive an incoming call on any one device at a time)
- It can be used on desktop or laptop also
- You will instantly get a virtual mobile number after registration, no need to go to any retail shop or customer service center. All the processes can be done online.
- Complete free one year calling within India for the first year as a promotion, but a one-time deposit of Rs. 1099/- is needed. Including GST, it is Rs. 1297/-
- World’s cheapest International Roaming charge which let you to make calls to India from International Destination at a rate of Rs. 1.2 per minute. All the incoming calls while in International roaming are free.
If you are planning to take the new BSNL Wings connection, you need to consider the following facts before that. Then only decide to take it for you or not. We took a new connection for the review, and here the points are based on our experience with that.
Related: How to Cancel BSNL Wings Connection
- You are paying Rs. 1297 for one year and get one year free outgoing and incoming calls within India. But you will not get any data benefit or SMS with this.
- Today, all the operators, including BSNL providing annual plans with unlimited calls, SMS, and data at a rate between Rs. 1400 to Rs 2000 on prepaid connection. So it doesn’t make sense to buy wings for only calls.
- If you use mobile data, then in most case you are getting free calls also, then Wings will be of no use for you.
- If you are living in a remote area where a mobile network is weak or not available, but you have access to a wifi connection, then you can go for Wings.
- BSNL recently introduced their own mobile application for the service, but unfortunately, the application is buggy. It crashed each time and went offline frequently. We hope it will become stable soon.
- It is designed to work in both wifi and mobile data. We tested it on Jio and Idea mobile data, and it is working fine. But with our Wifi network, it is not working. In some wifi connection, if your router is giving you a different WAN IP than that of the public IP, then also it causes the problem in connection.
- Earlier it was offering unlimited calls for the whole one-year, but currently, BSNL Wings is only offering 1800 minutes of outgoing calls per month. It would help if you kept in mind that BSNL Wings is a postpaid connection, and the corresponding bills will reach you over email after one year.
- It is mentioned as the World’s cheapest International roaming service provider. But unfortunately the IR service is not working in all the location as like BSNL says. To get International Roaming and ISD service on your wings number, you need to deposit an Rs amount. 2000 (refundable).
The unfortunate thing happened to us is that, as we called the customer care number, they told us that, it is working in all the location, and hence we did the IR/ISD activation. But the registration doesn’t happen. Next, we opened the ticket mentioning the issue, and we got the response that it is not working in some countries, including the one we are testing. We are directed to demand a refund of Rs. 2000.
- The refund amount of Rs. 2000 can be collected only from the nearest customer care office.
- If you are using Wings connection, we prefer to contact the support team via ticket from the NGN portal, as they are the only person know something about the service. Please don’t call the customer care number (1500 or 1503) as they are not giving correct answers.
- If you are planning to take BSNL Wings the connection to make calls from the International location using the IR service, check with them the country you are looking for is available with their service.
Note: If you have any questions regarding this, please mention that in the comment section below. We will provide answers for that.