If you own a Windows 10 PC, then it is a perfect idea to create a bootable Windows 10 USB drive of your operating system. By doing this, you would install or reinstall Windows 10 to repair a computer that won’t turn on or connected to the internet.
Are you looking for the vital steps you need to follow for creating bootable Windows 10 USB using the Media creation tool? If yes is your answer, then here you would come to know about the vital steps which can help you in creating a bootable Windows 10 USB drive for sure.
Before proceeding further, make sure you have the following:
- A strong and reliable internet connection
- A USB drive with 8 GB of free space
- Your 25 character product key
What is Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and where to get it?
It does not matter whether you want to download an ISO file or create installation media yourself with the latest version of Windows 10. For both vital tasks, you should take the help of the Media creation tool.
Media Creation Tool is a small executable file made by Microsoft which allows you to download Windows 10 and create your installation media. It also helps you directly upgrade your current PC or device to the latest version of Windows 10. It has an excellent and smooth interface, which is very simple and easy to understand.
Windows Media Creation Tool is a useful tool for users to upgrade Windows 10 or reinstall Windows 10. You can download Windows 10 media creation tool from Microsoft’s official website. You should scroll until you find the “Download tool now” button and click or select it.
You would be able to find in the “Create Windows 10 installation media” section. Microsoft asks you to download an executable file called MediaCreationTool, with a size of 18.5 MB. The file name ends with the version number 2004, which notifies you that you are getting Windows 10 with may 2020 update.
Steps to Create Windows 10 Bootable USB Using Media Creation Tool
If you plan to create a Windows 10 bootable USB, you should first download the Media Creation Tool. After downloading this tool, you need to run the tool and choose “Create installation for another PC.” At last, you need to select the USB Flash drive and wait for the installer to complete.
- The first step is to connect a USB to your Windows 10 PC. It would be better for you to format your USB drive to exFAT.
- After formatting your USB drive, you should go to Microsoft’s website for downloading the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. You need to click on the Download tool now button, that you are going to see under Create Windows 10 installation media.
- The next step is to double-click the file called MediaCreationToolxxxx.exe file to launch it. Make sure that the file is in your Downloads folders or wherever you have set downloads to go. You should note that the last four digits of the file name show the version of Windows 10.
- After launching the file, you should click Accept in the pop-up window
- Choose the Create Installation media option and choose Next
- Now you need to select the language, edition, and architecture you want to use to create the bootable USB. You can take the help of “Use the recommended options for this PC” box to use the same language, edition, and architecture you are using now. You can also take the help of drop-down options to change the options. If you are sure about whether you want a 64-bit or a 32-bit architecture, select Both from the Architecture drop-down menu
- Next, select a USB Flash Drive and click next.
- Choose the removable drive you need to use and click Next. If you have more than one device connected to your PC and you are not sure which one you need to use, then you should disconnect the other drives. If you are not able to see the drive you need to use, then you should click the Refresh drive list. The Media Creation Tool will start downloading the latest Windows 10 installation files on your PC. It would take around 30 minutes for sure.
- Finally, you need to click on Finish. If you want to check from your end that you have created a bootable USB drive with the Windows 10 installer on it, then you should go to File Explorer and check your drivers in This PC. You should note that drive must be renamed something like USB-ESD (Electronic Software Delivery). After opening the drive, you need to see boot files and a setup.exe file.
Now, if you want to install or reinstall Windows, then you can easily connect the drive to your PC and reboot it. Your computer will give you the option to install Windows. If not, you need to double-click the setup-exe in the drive to complete the process of installation.
Also, it would be best if you remembered that before you install Windows 10, check to make sure your computer or laptop meets the system requirements for Windows 10.
Finally, you are aware of the vital steps you need to follow while creating a bootable window 10 USB drive using the Windows media creation tool. All the steps mentioned above would help you in creating a Windows 10 bootable USB drive.
As you can see, using the Media creation tool is very straightforward and intuitive, even if you are not a professional expert. With the clear instructions, you would have no trouble creating a Windows 10 ISO setup file of your own or a bootable Windows 10 USB memory stick with all its setup files on it for sure.
Just go for it and share your valuable experiences here with us right now!