Maintaining anonymity and privacy online has become extremely important in the rapidly growing internet world. Everything from online surveillance and rising cyber threats has increased stress amongst individuals concerning their safety.
Therefore, ensuring you browse the internet without being monitored or tracked is important. However, with the IP address (a unique numerical identifier), it is understandable how tricky staying anonymous online can be. Therefore, users keep finding ways to Fake their IP address to browse anonymously.
There are multiple ways to fake an IP address that appears to be using a different one. Methods like using Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), Tor networks, and proxy servers are few to count. However, getting a fake IP address can prove tricky for users who aren’t technically versed. Also, faking an IP address to engage in fraud or anything illegal can also lead to legal consequences.
Join us in this article, and let’s discuss different methods to get a Fake IP address to browse online. In addition, we will also put light on how to maintain security while using a Fake IP address. With that said, let’s get started.
What is an IP address- A Quick Intro
An IP address (Internet Protocol) is a unique series of numbers assigned to each device on the internet. An IP address enables devices to communicate between clients and servers. It also lets the search engine know to whom to send the result; websites understand who’s visiting and more. Every device has a unique IP address which is its identification. Users can find their public IP address simply by Googling.
How to hide an IP address?
Let’s be clear, you cannot hide your IP address, but there are several ways to fake it. Users can pretend to be online under someone else’s identity by faking an IP address. Here’s more about it:
Ways to Fake an IP Address on the Internet
1. Use a VPN
VPN or Virtual Private Network is a service that encrypts your internet traffic and routes it through a remote server. VPN can help users fake their IP address by hiding it under someone else’s identity. Here’s how you can use VPN to fake your IP address online:
- First, sign up for a VPN service (for subscription) and download it into your device. iOS and Android users can get VPNs from Apple Store and Google Play Store. Similarly, Windows and Mac users can get VPNs from the provider’s website online.
- Once you have downloaded VPN, install it into your device and sign in using the account credentials. The credentials will be the same as those used during the subscription.
- Now launch the VPN, select a server or a server location in your device, and connect to it.
- Your internet traffic will be routed through the VPN server once connected. Your original IP address will now be masked under the IP address of the server you are connected to.
- You can now start browsing the internet under a masked IP address.
NOTE: Choose a reputable VPN provider only. It is important to get VPN with features like Private DNS servers, a No-logs policy, and a Kill switch.
Pros and Cons of using VPN to mask IP Addresses:
- VPN provides an extra layer of security by encrypting your internet traffic.
- VPN allows access to geo-restricted content.
- It masks your IP address.
- Using a VPN can slow down your internet speed.
- Some paid VPN services can be expensive.
- VPN providers can compromise your online privacy.
- A few VPN services may not be compatible with certain operating systems and devices.
2. Use Tor Networks
Tor is a free-to-use decentralized network of servers. It allows users to browse the internet anonymously without exposing their IP address. Tor routes your internet traffic through multiple servers and encrypts it in each step before it reaches its destination. As traffic leaves the final node, it becomes fully decrypted, making it difficult for anyone to trace your online activities.
However, it is important to note that Tor’s encryption system is very comprehensive, and traffic can take a long time to complete its journey.
For using Tor to mask your IP address:
Download and Install the Tor Browser and use it for surfing online just like you would do with any other browser. A Tor Brower will automatically route your traffic through the Tor Network. It will mask/ hide your original IP address under another IP address saving your online identity.
However, remember that Tor can be slightly slow and isn’t foolproof.
Pros and Cons of using Tor Network to mask IP address
- Tor network is free and open source to use.
- It routes your internet traffic through multiple encrypted nodes and offers strong anonymity.
- As well as provides access to the deep web.
- Tor Networks can limit or block your access to certain websites
- It may lead to risks of malicious exit nodes
- And may slow down your internet speed
3. Use a proxy
Using a proxy server can help your mask your identity on the internet. This is because a proxy server serves as a bridge between your device and the internet. Once you connect with a Proxy server, all your web traffic will flow through it.
Both proxy servers and VPNs are similar but with a few differences. VPN is technically a type of Proxy, but here a Proxy server is referred to as SSH, SSL, etc. These servers hide your IP address from websites but lack a range of security features, especially encryption which a VPN can assist with. Due to a lack of security, Proxy servers are more susceptible to man-in-the-middle attacks. In addition, the free web-based proxies are even less reliable and riskier. Finally, proxy servers are a temporary solution rather than a long, whole, proven assistance.
However, if you are still sure about using a Proxy server to fake your IP address, here’s how you can do it:
- Find a reliable Proxy server provider, preferably a paid one, for more security. Choose the one including HTTP, HTTPS, and SOCKS proxies.
- Now configure and connect your device to the proxy server. Once you are done, test your connection to ensure that your IP address is masked.
Pros and Cons of using Proxy to mask IP Address
- It offers anonymity and makes it difficult for websites to track your online activities.
- Proxy server may provide access to content that may be restricted in a certain region.
- It provides an additional layer of privacy and security.
- It slows down your internet speed.
- Not all proxy servers are secure.
- There are limits to the usefulness and reliability of a proxy server.
Other ways to mask your IP address while browsing online:
- Use a public network- For instance, connect to a public Wi-Fi connection, which will help mask your IP address. The IP address will be associated with the public network instead of that of your device.
- Use a mobile data connection from someone else to mask your IP address. It is more like using a mobile hotspot from some other user.
- Change the network setting of your device, and it may help your mask your IP address.
Tips for maintaining security while faking an IP address
- Use a trusted VPN only.
- You should use a reputable proxy server provider.
- Enable two-factor authentication wherever possible and use a strong password on all your online accounts.
- Always protect your device with trusted antivirus software.
- Never share your personal information online, especially when using a fake IP address.
That for all for protecting your privacy online. With growing risks of cyber threats and online surveillance on the rise, masking an IP address sometimes becomes vital. We hope the above methods will help you fay an IP address. However, ensure you use a reputed way and never indulge in suspicious activity online.