Data sharing and transfer needs often require information storage on external devices, such as USB flash drives, memory cards, etc. Most of us find it convenient to store important images in such spaces for convenient access in times of need.
However, looking at the other side, keeping your data on these external devices poses loss risks under various circumstances. You may then need a data recovery solution to recover the lost files from any storage devices. The following article explains how to recover permanently deleted photos with or without software. Just keep reading and find the method suitable for you.
1: The Most Reliable Way to Recover Deleted Photos from USB Flash Drive Using Recoverit
Professional data recovery software is an excellent tool for retrieving deleted pictures from various devices with simple clicks. That being said, let us take a look at the steps of recovering lost images from a USB flash drive with Wondershare Recoverit. The detailed steps are discussed in what follows next:
Visit the official Wondershare website to download the photo recovery software on your computer. The software is compatible with Mac and Windows devices so you can get any of them for free. Install the program and take the following steps to proceed further:
Step 1: Choose a Retrieving Location
Launch the program and connect a USB drive to your computer. Next, select the device in the ‘Hard Drives and Locations’ tab to initiate the photo recovery process.
Step 2: Scan the Selected Destination
The Recoverit program begins an automatic scan of the connected USB drive to display the lost image files. This may take a while.
Step 3: Preview and Restore the Photos
You can preview the displayed photos by clicking on their thumbnails. Click on the ‘Recover’ button at the bottom to restore photos if the preview seems satisfactory. You can save the recovered images to a selected location. Avoid saving the images to the USB drive from where you lost them earlier.
Why choose Wondershare Recoverit?
The Wondershare Recoverit program extends a long list of advantages to be regarded as the best-picture recovery tool. Some significant reasons are discussed in what follows next:
- The program has a high-speed, simple, and accurate recovery process for addressing the recovery photo concern. In addition, the excellent recovery rate of 96% demonstrates a matchless efficiency.
- This high-precision program retains the original characteristics of the lost images while recovering them from the flash drive.
- The software can recover files in over 1000 formats, including audio, video, photo, documents, emails, etc.
- Supports recovering lost or deleted data from over 2000 storage devices, such as digital cameras, SD cards, USB flash drives, etc.
- It can recover lost data under 500 scenarios, ahead of size constraints, like virus attacks, system crashes, device formatting, unknown reason, etc.
2: Recover Deleted Photos from USB Flash Drive without Software
Getting deleted pictures back can also be addressed without using a third-party tool. You can create data backups or recover the images from CMD. Here’s how you can walk through the process:
Method 1: Recover from a Backup
Take the following steps to work on the image recovery concern if you have created a backup of your USB data:
Step 1: Navigate to the ‘Control Panel’ from the welcome screen of your PC. Head to and click on the ‘System Maintenance’ tab. Choose the ‘Backup and Restore option from the dropdown menu. The ‘Restore’ option appears at the bottom of the program window.
Step 2: Hit the ‘Restore My Files’ button to retrieve the images backed up on the selected location.
Step 3: Click the ‘Browse for File’ option to choose the images you want to recover.
Step 4: Select the required photos and choose the desired destination for saving the backed-up images. Wait for the process to finish. You can then check the selected location to access the recovered images.
Method 2: Recover from CMD
The command prompt is an operating system processor for executing specific commands in the command line. For example, the following steps can help to recover deleted images from USB flash drives with the command line:
Step 1: Connect your flash drive to a PC. Press the ‘Windows + R’ key combination to launch the ‘Run’ window. Next, enter ‘cmd’ in the command space and press ‘Enter’ to open the ‘Command Prompt window.
Step 2: Type ‘chkdsk H: /f’ and tap the ‘Enter’ key. You should replace ‘H’ with the drive letter of your USB device. Press ‘Y’, followed by ‘Enter’. Type the drive letter and press ‘Enter’ once again.
Step 3: Type ‘D:\>attrib –h –r –s /s /d *.*’ in the following prompt while replacing ‘D’ with the drive letter. Wait till the process gets completed.
3: Tips to Avoid Deleted Photos on Your USB Flash Drive
You can work with a diversity of recovery options to walk through the concern of how to get deleted pictures back from a USB flash drive. Adhering to a few quick tips can, however, help to avoid the hassle:
- Create periodic backups of the data stored on flash drives to escape the undesired consequences of losing important images.
- Avoid storing high-resolution and large-sized pictures on USB flash drives. Flash technology has limitations, which can be avoided by using SLC flash.
- Take care to remove the flash media with caution. For example, never eject the device between a reading and writing process. This can lead to data corruption.
- Store the flash drives in affordable conditions. Avoid exposure to extreme temperatures, pressure, and humidity.
USB flash drives are handy devices for storing and transferring data. The intense data management needs can lead to data loss in many situations. Such instances pose the need for data recovery solutions. When looking for effective ways to recover permanently deleted photos, you can rely on the Wondershare Recoverit program. The software is an excellent photo recovery tool that offers users many advantages.