The gnome tweak tool is satisfaction for customizing the whole glimpse and demeanor of elements in the environment of Gnome Desktop. In simpler terms, Gnome tweaks change the glimpse of the entire Ubuntu system.
In most cases, the Gnome tweak tool is preinstalled in the Ubuntu operating system. Otherwise, the Gnome Tweak tool is readily available in the Universe repository in Ubuntu operating system; the user is only required to enable it in the Software & Updates tool.
The user can install Gnome Tweak Tool from the software base by opening the Center, searching for GNOME Tweaks, and clicking on install.
What Is A Gnome?
Gnome tweak is used in intersection with gnome-shell and improvises its interface. It is used to amend the glance and feel of the Ubuntu system. Ubuntu is a popularised operating system for cloud systems with assistance from OpenStack. Gnome is the default desktop 17.10 version of Ubuntu that British companies and other communities initiate under the meritocratic governance model.
What is Gnome Tweak Tools?
Gnome Tweak Tools is a collection of settings and tweaks for the popular Gnome desktop. It is a simple, easy-to-use application that helps you configure your GNOME desktop to match your needs. Gnome Tweak Tool contains over 200 settings grouped in 9 categories, ranging from appearance to window behavior to hotkeys. This article will cover some of the more popular tools in this excellent toolkit. This article aims to give users a glance at the tools and their purpose.
Gnome tweak tool is an application of the Ubuntu operating system. It allows its users to change and customize the various features of Ubuntu. It helps in tweaking the genome settings according to the users’ wishes. The best part is that it helps change the looks, speed, and efficiency of the desktop by tweaking functions.
The application is available in the official repositories of all distributions with Ubuntu. However, people who cannot find it or are interested in installing its latest version can do the same through several methods.
Use of Gnome Tweak Tools
A user can utilize the immense potential of the Gnome tweaked tools and completely change the experience with Ubuntu. There are several options to choose from, and all are present in a single place.
On opening the application, all the categories are listed on the left side that the user can choose from. A user can choose from a wide variety of themes available for the Ubuntu operating system via the GNOME tweak tool. One can find the theme and icon settings in the Appearance section. Users can change the background, the lock screen, and similar settings to change the visuals.
Additionally, they can also change the appearance of the icons and the cursor. Gnome tweak tool has options to download and apply the new font that will enhance the entire look of the desktop.
An extension is another great feature of the Gnome tweak tool, and with the correct application, one can completely revamp the look and function of the gnome shell.
The application also allows its user to change the toolbar by tweaking and editing the alignment of the various functions in the title bar.
Another valuable function of the Gnome tweak tool is to set up automatic startup applications easily. This will be an essential and useful feature if somebody uses a particular application regularly.
A helpful feature is that users can disable animations to enhance the system’s speed. Gnome tweak tool also provides the option of hidden functions visible only to the user who made them in the first place.
Gnome tweak tool allows users to change the actions of the commands given to the computer. For example, the computer will automatically paste from the clipboard by pressing a specific key. The user can customize these settings. It applies to both the keyboard and the mouse and proves saving and convenient for the user.
In fact, on a laptop, users can disable the touch bar, which makes working a lot more convenient.
Recently, there has been feedback from various users of flickering and clicking issues of the GNOME tool. One cannot ignore the same because when the gnome tweak tool started, it provided multiple functions and features for the user’s convenience but failed to keep up with the excellent start. The primary reason for the same can be the inability of the gnome tweak tool to adapt to the latest versions of Ubuntu.
Also, the lack of attention given to this tool after its launch contributed to its decline in popularity in recent times. However, there is no doubt that the Gnome tweak tool carries excellent potential, and by fixing the few errors here and there and using it, we can achieve amazing results correctly.
- Altering Themes– To change the newly installed theme, it is required to use the ubuntu application. The appearance menu contains an article and iconic settings which can be chosen with the most preference.
- Incapacitating animation to gear up the desktop’s speed– There are specific animations for opening, closing, maximizing, or minimizing windows. The facility to select icons is also availed.
- Dominating icons of desktop– There is the visibility of trash and home icons which can be disabled too if unpreferred and preferred ones can be displayed on the desktop’s screen.
- Organizing extensions of Gnome– A desktop contains tiny plugins which expand the functionality of the Gnome desktop. Gnome extensions facilitate CPU consumption at high paneling, access clipboard records, and many others.
- Altering fonts and scaling– Tweak tools enable changing and new installation of fonts. In addition, if text icons are found unfamiliar, scaling can also be done.
- Prominent touchpad behavior– Unable to use the touchpad when keywords are in typing, enabling rapid typing on the keypad.
- Altering the power settings– It lets the laptop stay in suspend mode when the lid is turned down when not in usage.
- Choosing display on top panel– Important settings like network icon, system settings, calendar, archive options, and many others are viewed on the top board of the desktop. For example, the view of battery usage and calendar with hot corners if the mouse is titted at the left corner. In addition, the menu is displayed on the top panel as the mouse is dragged on the application.
- Configuration of application window– It is facilitated to choose between minimization or maximization of windows, and position can also be altered between right or left.
- Workspace Configuration– Gnome Tweak Tools is reliable for configuring workspace.
Installing Gnome Tweak Tools on Ubuntu
It is convenient to configure the group of cosmetics and behavior on the desktop of Gnome. We can customize the top bar, fast toolbar, and many others by installing Ubuntu 20.04. The powering of GUI is accessed Gnome settings default option. Facilitation like workspace setting, clicking actions from the title bar and enjoying various others with Gnome in Ubuntu.
The steps for installation are as follows:-
- The first point is to have a universe repository in Ubuntu’s system.
- The second point is to command “$ Sudo apt install gnome-tweak-too” on the system.
- The third step is to look for tweak keywords and process the tweak tool.
- The fourth option is an elective option for installing additive extensions.
Steps to fasten Gnome Desktop
The most recent verses of Linux has a Gnome interface. For unproductive experiences, there are various modifications provided.
- Disabling or Uninstall Extensions
- Search sources to be turned off
- File Indexing should be disabled
- Animations should be switched off
- Lighter applications should be alternated with heavy space gathering applications.
- Startup Applications should be limited to some extent
Different Gnome Tweak Tools
gnome-tweak-tool has been part of the GNOME desktop environment since version 2.14. This tool is an excellent way to customize every aspect of the gnome desktop you can think of. The only drawback to this program is that it must be run from a terminal and not from the GUI.
gconf editor is like tweaking tools’ little brother. It allows for easier customization of settings for those who don’t like using the command line too much or those who want a simple graphical tool to help them out. It is an excellent tool for those who wish to configure their system without the overhead gnome-tweak-tool.
If you bought your system from Dell, this probably comes preinstalled on your computer (or its installer could be able to run gconf editor+). This tool allows you to use both previous tools and more in one package. It will also let you edit settings known as Schemes.
This extension has been around since GNOME 2 and was brought back into GNOME 3 by default. It allows for customizing themes, extensions, and other aspects, making your desktop experience personalized.
5. Manage Themes
The manage themes application is part of GNOME 3 by default and allows users to choose different desktop environments based on those that they choose. It also gives users the ability to change their desktop environment theme with a simple click; it also contains some extra features, such as the ability to change the background of your desktop.
6. The GConf Wizard
This tool will allow you to edit user settings found in GConf database files using a friendly GUI interface. It is easy to configure some simple settings without using any command-line tools or editing configuration files by hand.
This simple tool allows you to easily change the canonical name of your user account from ‘ubuntu’ to something more simplistic or “slightly” unconventional.
This is a much more advanced tool for those who wish to customize even further by editing settings files in the GConf database used by GNOME. It is easier for those who want a graphical interface to edit configuration files than the command line tools.
This is a pre-requisite for the Ruby gnome2 tools; it will save you your time by installing the most popular gems required for using the ruby gnome tools.
These are some of the most useful tools to customize your Ubuntu desktop. These tools provide an easy way to tweak things without knowledge of GNOME or Linux. These are just a few tweaks you can use with these programs; many more are available for download on Ubuntu’s repositories. You should find one that suits your needs relatively quickly by doing an online search (e.g., Google).
The intersection of gnome-shell with for interface modification, Gnome tweak tool is used. It also changes the glimpse and feel of the Ubuntu system. It is used to alter toolbars and desktop icons, facilitate additive extensions, provide animations, and other modifications.
The Gnome Tweak Tool is convenient to install in Ubuntu 20.04. There is the possibility of slow working of the system due to the installation of tweak tools, which can be overcome by various alternatives that increase the working speed.
As you can see, these tools offer a lot of functionality and allow you to customize or even change your desktop environment to work how you want it to. These tools will allow you to tweak your GNOME desktop at a granular level with the right set of knowledge. Many in this collection offer similar functionality but are not as polished and refined (which may be good or bad, depending on your goal).
This is just a quick overview of some of the most popular toolkits and what they can do for you. We believe this article gives you an overview of how you can use the Gnome tweak tools and make the best out of the functionalities provided.