Operating an online store is all about leveraging the right tools. Whether you want to introduce a chatbot to the website or test and debug the store before updating, you need to know what solutions to use. But how do you settle on the most suitable one?
First of all, you need to consider your CMS peculiarities. As a Magento store owner, you might already know how flexible this platform is. It lets you extend the store functionality to provide an outstanding experience to users. And it’s possible thanks to the access to code Magento grants, primarily if you utilize its Open Source edition.
But as customizable as the platform is, it’s also one of the most challenging. You may need help from other professionals in this field, be it official documentation or more targeted advice on forums. So, without further ado, let’s look at the tools to simplify Magento development and the resources to fish for more information.
Top 3 Magento Development Tools to Try Out
Tools can make a difference when developing a Magento website. Whether troubleshooting a tricky module or optimizing site performance, tools reduce the time and effort required to complete a task. You want reliability and efficiency, especially when you’re deep in Magento eCommerce service.
So, here is a list of three noteworthy Magento tools based on several years of trying, sometimes failing, but never giving up. Let’s dive in and see which ones can elevate your development game.
At its core, Magento is a PHP-based eCommerce platform. That’s why Xdebug, an extension for PHP, can be a valuable asset in your arsenal. It lets you tackle Magento issues, like removing bugs that stop the checkout from working or detecting performance issues to speed up the store. Here is how Xdebug helps navigate such a complex system as Magento:
- Efficient debugging with the help of a step debugging feature. You can focus on specific segments of code.
- Enhanced error reporting with a var_dump() function and detailed stack paths to errors.
- You are getting a clear picture of what’s going on behind the scenes of your PHP code. The tracing capability involves logging function interactions within the PHP code, like calls, arguments, locations, variable assignments, and return values.
- Visualizing PHP application’s performance metrics to identify bottlenecks and boost Magento performance.
- Analyzing how much of your codebase is being tested.
The second Magento development tool on the list is PHPStorm, a PHP-integrated development environment (IDE). It’s beneficial in large projects. This fact makes it ideal for Magento users as this platform, due to its flexibility and complexity, is a popular choice of large retail chains and marketplaces. Let’s break down the advantages of PHPStorm:
- It understands your code, prevents errors, autocompletes and refactors code, and integrates with PHP versions from 5.3 to 8.1.
- It comes with a smart code editor to check the changes live.
- You can perform code quality analysis. The tool will highlight errors and offer quick fixes you can see by clicking Alt+Enter.
- The tool offers effortless code navigation and zero-configuration debugging to simplify the process and supports new technologies like TypeScript, CoffeeScript, and Dart languages.
3. Magento Developer Toolbar
This one is a comprehensive solution for identifying problems with the code. It informs coders about the following operations:
- the number of queries executed;
- the time it takes to parse them;
- the amount of RAM used.
One of the most notable benefits of the tool is its dashboard. You no longer need to toggle between the front end and the backend to discover elusive bugs. The dashboard ensures a panoramic view of block rendering, template usage, and PHP and MySQL settings. Consider other benefits of the MGT Developer Toolbar:
- It boosts developers’ performance by offering an efficient Profiler.
- It lets you track database activities, such as inserts, updates, reads, and transaction queries, through the Database Queries feature.
- You can seamlessly navigate nested blocks to locate the template or class for a specific block.
- Apart from the intuitive design, the MGT Developer Toolbar shares thorough documentation to help you get to the bottom of the software.
5 Best Resources to Learn About Magento
Whether you’re a newbie or a seasoned developer, Magento can play some tricks during the coding, customization, migration, and other processes. There may be some difficulties you might not know about before. That’s why you must constantly refresh your knowledge of the CMS and learn about its new capabilities. Where?
You may read about Magento on various websites. But it’s better to stick to the proven resources like the official Adobe website or blogs of Magento development agencies, knowing the platform inside and out. Below, we’ll look at some of the indispensable mediums for Magento developers.
The official Magento website was a go-to resource for everyone interested in the CMS. Yet, since Adobe acquired Magento in 2018, all the essential materials have migrated to the Adobe website. Whether you need to learn about creating extensions or join an event, you can do it on this website.
2. Magento Community
That’s where all the exciting things take place. This forum unites various people, from developers to retailers, who share their stories, insights, and challenges and offer solutions to Magento’s problems. Need genuine peer-to-peer assistance? Come to this place and explore the vast landscape of Magento.
3. Adobe Commerce Developer Documentation
Previously known as Magento DevDocs, Adobe Commerce Developer Documentation is a resource for Magento enthusiasts searching for technical details. From API overviews to creating PHP extensions, you can access step-by-step guides with code examples. So whenever you’re stuck or just curious, you can get professional guidance 24/7.
Apart from Magento Community, you can also delve into forums like Quora, Reddit, or social networks. They’re full of valuable knowledge and encouraging messages so as not to feel alone in the face of seemingly insoluble problems. You can find an answer to almost every question there. And that’s the reason why these places are so popular.
5. Product Blogs
Magento-dedicated blogs are another option to plunge into the specifics of Magento development. They may belong to agencies, extension vendors, or freelancers and provide how-to guides, reviews, and news. Plus, the authors may express their personal opinions there. They may include screenshots and tips, offering technical advice and a genuine outlook.
To Sum Up
Magento constantly evolves, new updates are being rolled out, and new extensions emerge. You must stay abreast of the latest technologies and instruments to manage your online store. We’ve presented some of the remarkable tools and resources to consider for every Magento developer.
But remember: the true power of the platform lies in its customizability. By combining these tools with speed optimization, UI/UX design, and security best practices, you can take your store to the next level.