As we all know, Wifi has become an integral part of our daily lives in this advanced world of technology. From streaming our favorite shows and movies to staying connected with friends and family, Wifi has made everything possible at our fingertips. However, weak Wifi signals and dead zones can be a major buzzkill. That’s where Linksys Wifi Extender comes to the rescue.
This powerful device can boost your existing Wifi signals and extend them to those hard-to-reach areas in your home or office. In this detailed guide, we are sharing with you some tips and tricks on how to connect your Linksys Wifi Extender, with and without an ethernet cable.
Whether you’re an avid techie or a new user, our simple instructions will enable you to easily optimise your network coverage. So, let’s dive in and get your Wifi signals stronger than ever before.
Quick Intro of Linksys Wifi Extender
Let’s go through a short introduction about Linksys Wifi Extender. We are so enthusiastically saying this is not your typical Wifi Extender; it’s a top-notch device designed to boost your existing Wifi signals to every corner of your premises.
While compared to other Wifi extenders, Linksys stands out due to its robust performance, easy setup, and excellent range. It’s designed to work seamlessly with any standard router or gateway, giving it a universal appeal.
The advantages of a Linksys Wifi Extender are numerous. For starters, it eliminates Wifi dead zones, ensuring that you have strong Wifi coverage throughout your space. This means you can enjoy streaming, gaming, and browsing without any interruptions. In addition, it’s equipped with advanced technologies like beamforming and Cross Band, which are engineered to deliver fast and reliable connections.
Now you should be thinking, “Is Linksys a good Wifi Extender or not?” The answer is a resounding Yes. Its powerful signal strength and broad coverage area make it a favorite among tech enthusiasts. Linksys Wifi Extenders are known for their speed, reliability, and consistency. So, if you’re tired of struggling with weak Wifi signals, the Linksys Wifi Extender is the solution you’ve been waiting for.
How Wifi Extender Works
Understanding how a Wifi extender works can be quite technical, but let’s try and simplify it using the Linksys RE700 as an example. This extender, packed with the latest Wireless-AC technology, can simultaneously stream and game on multiple devices without sacrificing speed or performance.
The magic starts when your existing Wifi signal is received by the Linksys RE700. It then amplifies this signal and rebroadcasts it, extending the signal’s reach up to an impressive 10,000 square feet, thereby eliminating those pesky Wifi dead zones.
But that’s not all. One of the most loved features of the Linksys RE700 is the ability to automatically switch your device to the strongest Wifi signal as you move around your house. This is achieved when Max-Stream Routers are paired with Max-Stream Range Extenders, delivering a seamless and reliable connection throughout your space.
This Linksys RE700 extender also operates at lightning-fast speeds up to AC1900, allowing for efficient data transfers that are 10 times faster than Fast Ethernet. This ensures high-speed connectivity for all your wired devices.
Moreover, the mobile-guided setup makes the whole process hassle-free. Despite its advanced technology, it works with any wireless router, even your service provider’s router. Thus, with Linksys RE700, you’re not just extending your Wifi range; you’re upgrading your entire internet experience.
Think of the Wifi Extender as a bridge that transports your Wifi signals to those corners of your house where the Wifi router’s signals can’t reach. Our Linksys RE700 is a prime example of this. This powerful extender grabs the signal from your Wifi router and amplifies it before broadcasting it to a wider range. As a result, no more dead zones and weak signals!
One notable feature of the Linksys RE700 is its ability to optimize performance by focusing the wireless signal on connected devices. That means no matter where your device is in the house, you’ll enjoy a strong, steady signal. Furthermore, the RE700 supports seamless roaming, providing you uninterrupted Wi-Fi as you move room-to-room within your network.
Setting up the Linksys RE700 is a breeze with its easy setup options. Place it in an optimal location for the best signal strength, and you’re good to go. Plus, the Gigabit Ethernet port on the AC1900 model allows you to connect devices like a game console, Blu-ray player, or Smart TV, offering Wi-Fi speeds up to 10 times faster than Fast Ethernet. So, you can game, stream, and surf to your heart’s content.
The Linksys RE700 Extender has dual wireless bands of 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz for a combined speed of up to 1.9 Gbps, which is double the performance of a regular single band. When syncing with a Linksys Max-Stream router, you’ll no longer experience dropped connections for voice calls from smartphones or tablets when you move from room to room or backyard or garage.
How to Setup Linksys WiFi Extender With Ethernet Cable
Setting up your Linksys Wi-Fi Extender with an Ethernet cable is a straightforward process that anyone can handle, even with minimal tech experience. One of the advantages of using an Ethernet cable for setup is the reliability it offers.
Unlike wireless connections, which may fluctuate due to environmental factors, a wired connection ensures a stable and consistent setup process. Here’s how to setup Linksys Wi-Fi Extender With Ethernet Cable.
Note: Before starting the setup process, make sure you have an active and stable internet connection. Moreover, you need to save your Wi-Fi name and password required to complete the process. And check that the Ethernet cable you are using is long enough to connect your router to your range extender.
- Connect the Linksys RE7000 to an electrical outlet and wait for the light to turn orange.
- Connect your device to the Linksys RE7000’s default Wi-Fi name, Linksys Extender Setup – xxx (xxx are the last three characters of the Linksys RE7000’s MAC address), using a computer or a mobile device. To begin the setup process, you must be connected to this Wi-Fi network.
- Open a browser on your computer or mobile phone and type “http://extender.linksys.com” or “192.168.1.1” in the address bar, then press the Enter key to start the setup.
- Then, click Start Setup, enter an admin password and password hint, and click Save button to proceed.
- Once done, click on the As a wireless range extender option and choose to click on Next button.
- Next, select your existing Wi-Fi network and enter your password when prompted.( In case, you have a dual-band network, the SSIDs for both bands should be visible.).
- Furthermore, if your SSID is hidden, click Manually Enter Network Name and Password.
- You should now create your extended network SSIDs and password.
- You need to understand that the spot finder page only appears when you are in range extender mode.
- If your range extender is far away from your router, unplug it and move it closer, then reconnect to the range extender’s default SSID and navigate to “http://extender.linksys.com”.
- Finally, your device will check for and update the latest available firmware. As well as, the Linksys RE7000 is now configured in Range Extender mode.
Tip: The top header will read Dual Band Wireless Range Extender when the Linksys RE7000 is in Range Extender mode. After you’ve completed the setup, you can view the updated top header name by logging into the web-based setup page.
How to Setup Linksys Wi-Fi Extender Without Ethernet Cable
Sometimes you don’t have an ethernet cable handy, or maybe you prefer a wireless setup. Linksys has made it possible to set up your Wi-Fi extender even without an ethernet cable.
The process is as simple and intuitive as the wired setup, but with the added flexibility and convenience of going cordless. In addition, it’s perfect for scenarios where your router and extender might not be in close proximity. So, let’s walk through this wireless setup process.
- Firstly, place your WIFI ranger next to the Wireless router and make sure the distance between the Range extender and Router is not beyond 3 feet while during the setup process.
- Then you should connect your Linksys RE7000 to the nearest electric power socket and turn on the device to continue.
- Now you need to wait for a few minutes for Linksys Wifi extender to boot up, you can see the power lights turn to green.
- Further, switch on your home Wifi router, then find and press the WPS button on your Wifi RE7000 extender.
- Wait for a few more minutes until the WPS LED turns from orange to green.
- Now you can unplug the Wifi extender and move it to another nearby location.
- Then plug it again to an electric power socket and turn on the device to complete the setup.
- Once done, you can connect your system to the Linksys Wifi extender Setup-xxx network.
- Finally, open your regular web browser and ping Google.com, then test your internet connection.
How to Update New Firmware on Linksys WiFi Extender
Keeping your Linksys Wifi Extender’s firmware up-to-date is key to ensuring optimal performance and security. Firmware is essentially the software that powers your device, and manufacturers like Linksys often release updates to enhance functionality, fix bugs, and patch potential security vulnerabilities. This is why it’s essential to regularly check for new firmware updates for your Linksys Wifi Extender.
Now let’s see the process of updating new firmware on Linksys WiFi extender.
Note: Before moving to the update process ensure you have downloaded the latest version of firmware. To check that,
- Open your browser and navigate to the Linksys download centre.
- Then search for the latest firmware using the extender’s model number (you will get the model number from the instruction manual or it is printed on your device).
- Now you will get the available firmware update for your device from the search result.
- You can choose the latest one and click on the Download button to continue the process.
- Once the download process gets completed, check your extender hardware version and download the firmware as per the requirement.
- Finally, you should save the downloaded file on the system and move to the firmware update process.
Steps to Update New Firmware on Linksys WiFi Extender
- Firstly, open your system and launch the regular web browser.
- Then move to the Extender web-based settings portal or setup page (extender.linksys.com) or go to 192.168.1.1. address.
- Then in the newly appeared window type your Username and Password, then click on the Administration option and choose the Firmware Upgrade.
- Now select the early downloaded firmware file, click on Open and Upgrade button.
If you find any compilation during the upgrade process, you can seek help from a professional expert.
As well as you have the option to backup the extenders configuration settings, can use or restore them after the reset process. The steps are given here, you should follow,
- Open your web browser, if your extender is not configured yet, you will need to use an Ethernet cable to connect the router.
- Then in the browser address bar, type 192.168.1.1 and click on the Enter button.
- Inside the newly appeared prompt box type your account credential (username and password) and press the Login button.
- Then go to the Management tab and choose the Backup Configurations and click on the Save Backup button.
How to Reset Linksys Wifi Extender
Ever encounter unexpected issues with your Linksys Wifi Extender? That’s when resetting your device comes in handy. A factory reset is essentially a fresh start for your extender. It wipes all your personalised settings, taking your device back to its original, out-of-the-box state. This process can help solve persistent issues and breathe new life into your extender if it’s been acting up.
Resetting your Linksys Wifi Extender is quite easy. Just locate the ‘Reset’ button, typically found at the bottom or side of your device. Press and hold it for about 10 seconds until the LED starts blinking. Release the button, and your extender will reboot. It’s now reset to factory default settings, ready for a fresh setup.
If you choose to reset the Linksys through the Linksys WiFi setup page, follow these steps,
- Open your regular web browser on the system and at the top address bar, type or copy + paste 192.168.1.1.
- Go to Extender.linksys.com and click on the Enter button.
- Then in the newly appeared prompt screen, type the username and password, then click on the Login button.
- Once you are inside the Settings portal, navigate to the Administration tab and choose Factory Defaults option and click on the Restore to Defaults.
- Finally, to complete the reset procedure, you can unplug the Extender power cable from the electric socket and restart it.
Remember, while resetting your extender can be an effective troubleshooting measure, it should only be a last resort. It’s not something you need to do regularly, but it’s a handy solution to keep in your back pocket for when the need arises. So, there you go – a quick, simple solution to keep your Linksys Wifi Extender performing at its best.
Reason and Solution Why Linksys WiFi Extender Could Not Connect?
There could be several reasons why the Linksys WiFi Extender cannot connect. The main reasons are incorrect settings, weak signal from the router, outdated firmware or network overload. If you encounter any of these, you should try resetting the Linksys WiFi Extender as a first-hand solution.
If the problem still bothers you, you should contact the Linksys support team to explain your issue in detail. They will help you to solve the issue easily.
Why can’t I reach the Linksys Extender login page via the web interface?
Some players have complained that they are unable to access the Linksys Extender login page through the http://extender.linksys.com address. If you are facing the same issue, you should check the following points to make sure everything is working fine;
- All cables are securely connected and cable does not break. If so, you need to replace it.
- Check that the Linksys Extender is powered on and has sufficient power supply.
- If your web browser is not updated to the latest version, you may not be able to access the http://extender.linksys.com web page. As a result, you should check and update your browser and go to the Linksys login page.
- If you cannot access the Linksys Extender login page through the web interface, please clear your web browser cache, cookies, and history, and double check that there is no typing error in the URL you entered.
- Then double check that you have entered the correct username and password. Also, make sure that the web address http://extender.linksys.com is entered in the address bar of your web browser.
In final words, the Linksys Wifi Extender is a powerful device in today’s technologically advanced world, providing uninterrupted connection, continuous Internet connectivity throughout your home or workplace. It’s simple setup, whether wired or wireless, makes it attractive to techies and novices alike. We hope the instructions and information provided above will help you to connect Linksys WiFi Extender smoothly.