Did you purchase a game on Steam, but it didn’t live up to your expectations? Or do you regret buying a game on Steam because it doesn’t run properly on your computer? If yes, we have good news for you, Steam has introduced a streamlined way to return a game. But how does the game refund request on Steam work?
Steam allows users to return the purchased game and get a refund instead. Steam’s game return and refund policy allows its users to return a game they brought from their platform. As long as the return request meets certain rules and regulations, Steam makes this process very smooth and hassle-free for its users.
Astonishingly, even the biggest PC gaming platforms have had a refund policy for so long. Even today, not many offer such convenience, except in 2015 when Steam introduced this ease. However, much of the Game Refund policy on Steam is either hidden or poorly explained.
Therefore, we have given you an advanced guide to Steam’s Game Refund Policy. First, however, this article will teach how users can request a refund from Steam for purchased games they are unsatisfied with.
Steam Refund – How to request For Game Refund, and When can you request it?
Before we learn how to get a refund for any purchased game from Steam, let’s look at its Refund policies.
Steam is an online platform that allows users to download or purchase thousands of games to play them. Users can purchase almost any game from the website and play it as their preference. However, situations often occur when users either have accidentally purchased the wrong game, purchased a game that isn’t compatible to be played on their device, or a game they do not like later on.
In situations like these, ‘Steam Refunds,’ a user-friendly policy, allow getting a refund for their Purchase. However, the policy comes with its own set of rules and regulations.
For almost any reason, steam users can request a return within the required return period. Once Steam approves your return request, they will issue a full refund within a few days. The refund amount will reflect in the user’s Steam wallet or on the same payment mode used to make the Purchase.
When Steam doesn’t (or isn’t able to) issue a refund via external payment mode, it credits the amount in the Steam Wallet. It happens in cases when the payment is made via methods like Skrill, Credit Card (Domestic), Debit Card (Domestic), Net Banking, or Prepaid Wallet (Domestic) in some selective countries.
However, the ‘Steam Refunds’ policy isn’t as simple as it seems. Users must know about all the rules and regulations before requesting a game refund from Steam.
- The ‘Steam Refunds’ applies only within two weeks of Purchase and with less than two hours of playtime. The refund is applied to games and software applications on the Steam store.
- The refund on DLC purchased from Steam may not be issued if the downloaded content is consumed, modified, or transferred. However, if the downloaded content has irreversibly leveled up a game character, it will be marked as nonrefundable.
- The refund works on in-game purchases within any Valve-developed games in less than 48 hours.
- Steam offers refunds on pre-purchase titles (which users have paid for in advance). Users can request a refund at any time before the game’s release or within 14 days from its release date.
- Steam offer refunds for recurring billing cycles for subscription-based services. However, under conditions when content wasn’t used and only issued within 48 hours of purchasing.
- Steam also offers a refund for Steam Wallet funds purchased on Steam but unused within 14 days.
- Users can request a refund for unredeemed gifts within the standard 14-day purchase and less than two hours of playtime. Steam even releases a refund on redeemed gifts if the gift recipient initiates the refund returning the fund to the original purchasers.
How To Request A Refund on Steam?
Requesting a Game Refund on Steam is a pretty simple process. Here’s the step-by-step explanation for the same:
- First, visit help.steampowered.com and sign in to your Steam Account.
- Now scroll down the list of options below and click on Purchases.
- Again, locate the game you would like to request a refund from the list of purchased games and click on it.
- Now, from the given options, select the reason for requesting a refund and then click on the option “I’d like to request a refund”.
- On the next window, fill in the request form, including the Reason and Notes section. Simultaneously, open the drop-down menu under the Request a Refund section and select whether you want the refund on Steam Wallet or another source of purchase.
- Lastly, click on Submit Request tab at the bottom of the screen, and you are done.
NOTE: Games not reflected in this list are either ineligible for a refund or fall too far outside our refund window.
As per the Steam Refund Policy, once a refund request has been approved, the user will receive the amount in a week. The payment, however, may take longer to appear, depending on your payment method and financial institution. You can also choose “Cancel refund request” if you accidentally requested one. To do so, return to Steam’s support page and cancel the refund request at any time before the request is reviewed.
Is there a limit to how many purchases users can request to refund in Steam?
No, as long as the Purchase is eligible for a refund, users can request as many as they want to. However, if a user is found to be abusing the refund system, Steam may reserve its rights to access this feature again.
Though there isn’t any specific limit on how many games a user can request to refund, Steam can limit the number depending on the user’s purchase history and behavior.
Can you get a warning for refunding too many games?
If a user is issuing multiple refund requests within a short time, Valve may send them a warning. While there is no official number on how many games users can request a refund, many frequent requests may lead to warnings or other consequences.
Can you refund bundles on Steam?
Yes, as long as the bundle is entirely unused, you can request a refund. However, if any games or DLC included in the bundle are redeemed or played, Steam won’t refund it.
Can you get a Steam refund if banned?
No, in most cases, users who have been banned aren’t eligible for a Steam refund. For example, the Steam Refund Policy states that a gamer banned by a developer or game’s anti-cheat system can’t request a refund. Similarly, users whose Steam Account was also banned or restricted cannot ask for a refund.
Steam has always kept a check on its user-friendly policies, and the Steam Game Refund is one of them. If you do not like a game you have just purchased or the game isn’t operatable on your system, you can likely return it, and Steam will release a full refund. However, this policy is meant for accidental or wrong purchases only, and any violation can lead to consequences for the users.