Nowadays, almost any business needs to use some forms of IT related technology or other. It does not matter if a company belongs to finance or FMCG, sustaining without using latest IT technologies is almost impossible. To ensure various types of IT technologies and applications used in the organization runs smoothly and conflicts do not occur, comprehensive management is required. That is where ITSM steps in. Information Technology Service Management denotes a framework used for managing different aspects of a business that relies on diverse IT services. It is aimed at helping organizations meeting their goals by making optimal use of these services and making customers happy. It includes models for IT support, planning, Security, Delivery, Infrastructure.
Misconceptions about ITSM that persist
Thousands of companies, both mid sized and large ones, have embraced ITSM methodologies- across the world. The advantages of using these tools are undeniable and they include reduced running cost, improved efficacy, reduced conflicts among departments, better customer retention etc. Despite these advantages and widespread adoption of ITSM tools worldwide, some misconceptions about the framework continue to persist. These ITSM myths and misconceptions hold back many companies from embracing the framework and ITSM practices and as a result- they cannot avail the advantages!
Below listed are the major misconceptions about ITSM methodologies that businesses tend to have:
- IT service processes are not applicable for all departments/teams- This misconception about IT service processes is prevalent among many companies. They think ITSM methodologies and practices are relevant for the hardware and IT team alone. While departments like marketing, accounts, HR all have their specific process requirements- the reality is they all need to share common IT resources and use certain IT services. Segregating strictly department specific processes can also lead to functional and workflow challenges for the organizations at times. Deploying ITSM tools proves to be beneficial for all departments in any organization in the long run.
- Deploying ITSM practices may escalate costs- This is another myth about ITSM practices and tools many companies harbor. They feel deploying ITSM tools and practices on a company level will lead to cost escalation. However, this is far from the reality. While there is the cost of purchase, operational costs actually reduce when ITSM practices are implemented in the organization. This is owing to the fact, ITSM too deployment results in better sync between departments, less conflicts and less delays.
- Service management is needed round the clock only by the IT team- Even if your company does not belong to IT sector, the workflow and operations will benefit from deployment of ITSM methodologies and tools. Given the fact customers have become more demanding than earlier and they want more control and responsiveness, deploying ITSM practices on a company level makes more sense. All teams in the company can gain the benefits when a suitable ITSM tool is in use and they can work in efficient manner.
- ITSM is just about IT help desk- The IT service desk is definitely a part of the entire ITSM experience but some companies fail to understand that. ITSM is more than just using a software based solution to cater to customer support operations! It also involves processes related to planning, resource management, security etc. The service desk is a part of ITSM that is often used by both the customers and various teams in the organizations for different needs. ITSM also encompasses networking, cloud computing services, PC security solutions and all types of IT related services used in an organization.
- ITSM leads to buying a new software solution and then making huge changes- What deters many companies from investing in ITSM tools is their notion adoption of such frameworks lead to making changes in workflow. They mistakenly think installing an ITSM tool and using it will lead to conflicts with existing software used in the company. The truth is most of the ITSM frameworks you can buy are cloud based and hence do not require installation. They are also compatible with mainstream software used in business environments. Moreover, these tools can be customized to work with software used in the organization without hiccups. So, the companies may not need to discard existing software and online services after adopting an ITSM framework or tool.
- ITSM does not go well with DevOps- A section of companies have a feeling that DevOps is opposed to ITSM core principles. This has got to do with older perceptions about ITSM. It is true that DevOps is a new operational philosophy in enterprise IT world. Sometimes, the DevOps driven operational schemes may oppose traditional ITSM functions. Nevertheless, ITSM has matured as a set of practices in recent years. The new ITSM principles focus on generating flexibility in handling of IT services. This focus on agility and speed within the ITSM arena makes it suitable for DevOps. The latter drives newer operational methods but the changes are work culture focused modeled on functioning of different collaborating groups in technology team.
- Deploying an ITSM tool will disrupt workflow and add to stress- A section of companies think deployment of an ITSM framework in the organization will lead to complications. The deployment will be a complex process and that will have an impact of workflow. The employees already occupied with workload will be further stressed out by this, as per their views. However, the truth is deploying most ITSM tools do not require major changes in workflow and neither does it take a huge amount of time. Most organizations use a number of performance metrics to assess efficiency and output. The stress of undergoing change affects the productivity for them. They need to understand, deploying new framework will introduce performance metrics. Of course, deploying a new tool organization wise will cause some disruption. However, it is prudent to look at the long term benefits rather than focusing on interim disruptions. The positives here definitely outweigh the negatives. The perception is the main barrier and not the ground level changes that are needed.
- ITSM is not really needed by small companies- It is another myth about ITSM that needs to be changed. It is an undeniable fact that most of the companies adopting ITSM tools are MNCs and mid-sized entities. However, that does not mean small sized and fast growing companies cannot benefit by adopting the ITSM methodologies. On the contrary, adopting ITSM practices help small companies grow steadily, boost revenue and cut down operational costs. Thanks to evolution of cloud computing tech, ITSM tools are becoming more accessible for small organizations with limited resources and budgets.
Summing it all up
The ITSM myths and misconceptions do exist but you should not let these deter your organization from harnessing the potential of the framework and methodologies. The ITSM sector is evolving with time, driven by the shifting IT demands. Present generation ITSM frameworks/tools are more flexible and with each version revision comes more features and agility. It would be prudent to do your research carefully before you picking any ITSM tool for the company. There are several ITSM tools available in market and you should pick the apt one after careful review and assessment.
Vipin is a Programmer who loves blogging and used to do research on new things. He loves to share those information through this blog. You can contact him via email [email protected]