WhatsApp Two-step verification is now available for both normal account and the Business Account. Many believe that WhatsApp two-step verification is the same as that in the two-factor authentication that available on Facebook and Twitter. But here in WhatsApp, it is not the case.
What is Two Step Verification in WhatsApp?
Two Step verification in Whatsapp is an added security to safeguard the WhatsApp account. If one enables the Two Step verification, then once he/she needs to provide a 6 digit PIN while re-registering the WhatsApp using the same number.
Normally, you can register on another mobile or on the same mobile after reinstalling the WhatsApp without any additional authentication. But still OTP is needed for doing so, therefore there is no chance of any security issue. To double the security, the two-step authentication is enabled.
You can enable it and disable it at any time. The only thing you need is to have a 6 digit PIN and an optional email address in the case to recover the PIN if you forgot it.
How to Enable Two-Step verification in WhatsApp?
In order to enable it to follow the below steps.
- Go to the setting from the WhatsApp application.
- Click on Account option.
- From the Account options, click on Two-step verification
- In the next page, click on the ‘Enable’ button.
- Next, on the new page, you will be asked to provide a 6 digit PIN,
- Again in the next page, you need to re-enter the same PIN.
- Next, you need to enter an email address, You can skip it if needed. But it is recommended to add an email address. Because, if you forgot the PIN, you can reset the PIN using the email address. So if you don’t add an email address and forgot the PIN, then you cannot use WhatsApp using the same number.
- Once you added the email, you need to confirm the same email in the next page.
- Then click on ‘Save’, done. Now the two-step verification is enabled.
Once you enable it, you can disable it, change PIN and change email at any time by going to the two-step verification area from the settings.
How does two-step verification work?
Once you enable it. You need to remember the PIN all the time. Once you are changing your mobile phone or reinstalling WhatsApp on the same mobile, you need to enter the PIN number along with the OTP to register again using the same mobile number.
If you enabled the two-step verification and forgot the PIN, you will not be able to use the same number again to use WhatsApp. If so, you need to contact their support and needs to manually fix it. But it will not be a solution all the time.
So only enable two-step verification if you really need it otherwise just keep it disabled as default.
Additional Info: Even if it is not under the same topic, we still ask our readers to not use 3rd party application for your WhatsApp number, so that your number will get banned from using again.