Firstly, we would like to say that it is not so easy to Jailbreak Roku. But there is some workaround available to watch Kodi on Roku TV. We are going to discuss those here.
Roku is a digital media player that is used to stream content directly to your TV and thus transforming your TV into a smart device. It is one of the most popular streaming devices these days, which has the best variety that any digital media player can offer. It is extremely user-friendly and affordable like Fire TV Stick or a Chromecast. All you need to have is a Roku streaming stick and a TV with a stable internet connection.
Kodi an open-source operating software for streaming videos free of cost. It is available on almost all platforms. It is also quite compatible with almost all OS like Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, and much more. Kodi also supports third-party add-ons, which means that users may use them for watching movies as well as tv shows for free. Now, users are finding ways to use Kodi on Roku for obvious reasons.
Now, technically speaking, there is no legitimate way to use Kodi on Roku. Kodi is an Operating Software that has a C++ language backup that Roku is not yet compatible with. So you cannot directly link Kodi to Roku. But there are other ways with which you can use Kodi like an application on Roku, which is referred to as jailbreaking.
Jailbreaking was actually common with IOS devices which is a process of modifying the device’s operating system to gain additional access privileges. By default, the operating system puts some restrictions on the users due to security reasons.
But Jailbreaking or rooting will help us to remove this restriction and thus we have more control over the devices. However, the Roku system is strong and secure so that it is not easy to get tampered with. But there is some workaround so that we can overcome this restriction and can achieve some alternative workaround for the Jailbreak.
Jailbreak Roku TV (Workaround)
There are four main jailbreak alternatives for Roku, and they are as follows:
Screen Mirroring is a process with which you can replicate your entire phone’s or even PC’s Screen to your Roku TV. You can use an Android device or a Windows PC/Laptop in order to mirror the screen with Roku boxes. With this, whatever you stream on your device will automatically be played on your TV screen as well.
You will be able to see your device’s Screen this way. However, a drawback is the time limitation. There is a set duration of Screen mirroring mode, and if you close it to use your phone, the Screen will stop playing.
Steps to mirror Kodi screen on Roku
- Go to Settings
- Click on the Systems menu and then select Screen Mirroring mode
- Click on always allow to let the Roku screen have access to your Kodi device
Steps to enable Screen Mirroring on Roku TV
- Go to Display on your device’s settings
- Now go to Wireless Display Section.
- A list of devices will appear beneath the Display tab
- Tap the Roku device that you want to connect with, and you may customize the name if you wish.
Cast Kodi on Roku from your Windows PC
Windows PC is the most common OS, and it also happens to have just the right tools needed to screen mirror Kodi to your Roku.
- Install Kodi on your Windows PC from their official site to get a virus-free copy
- Once it is downloaded and installed, launch it to make sure that it is working properly
- Open the control center on your Windows PC
- Look at the icons and select Project one
- Choose the option PC Screen Only from the list
- Choose your Roku device on the next Screen
- Click start to begin mirroring your Screen
- Now all you need to do is launch Kodi and start streaming content on your Roku TV!
Watching Kodi on Roku is neither safe nor compatible. Kodi addon base is large and a few of them are not safe too. So security and safety is also an important thing. There are ways to achieve it, yes, but certain important steps need to be kept in mind before undertaking such risks. The main one is using a secure VPN connection before going ahead with the screen mirroring procedure. Here is how you can safely watch Kodi on Roku:
- Download Ivacy VPN and generate username and password
- Download and install the Ivacy Addon for Kodi
- Connect to USA server
- Sit back and relax and let the VPN sort it out for you
As mentioned above, you can’t directly jailbreak a Roku and install Kodi software to it. However, those workarounds can help you to gain access to the same content that you wish to stream. Screen mirroring is a powerful tool that can help you to cast Kodi content on your Roku TV. With the easy steps above, you can enjoy the best of both in no time!