Let’s be honest; cable TV is expensive, and you can save a lot of money by letting it go. If you’re paying more than $150 a month on cable, subscribe to a streaming service and save up to $1500 a year.
Gone are the days when you needed cable to kick back on the couch to watch your favorite shows or movies. Instead, streaming services have overtaken cable TV because they are affordable and have more options.
If you’re sick of receiving a monthly cable bill or want to free up some cash, AT&T TV, previously known as DirecTV, is an excellent option. Another reason to ditch cable for DirecTV stream is you cannot access your cable TV channels outside of the US. But you can watch DirecTV US abroad with a VPN.
Some of the best shows on AT&T TV (DirecTV) include The Man Who Fell on Earth, This Is Going to Hurt, Gaslit, Alone, and 60 Days In. The streaming service also has a respectable movie catalog with Undercover Angel, Shot Caller, The Aviary, etc.
In addition, you get unlimited hours of cloud DVR storage to record content for watching during your free time and access to sports, news, and local channels.
This guide shows you how to install DirecTV Now on Roku and breaks down its subscription plans, compatible Roku devices, and how to fix common errors.
DirecTV Stream Subscription Costs
Before installing DirecTV Now on a Roku device, you should look at the subscription plans. This helps you know how much you’ll save per month and the content you’ll access compared to a cable subscription. Here are the four AT&T TV (DirecTV) packages:
|AT&T TV (DirecTV) Package
|Cost Per Month
|No. Of Channels
What do You need to Install DirecTV on Roku?
DirecTV Stream works on Roku devices, but here’s what you must have:
- A compatible Roku device.
- Roku TV or a compatible HDTV with HDMI port 2.0 or above.
- A fast Wi-Fi connection.
- An active DirecTV Stream account.
- Roku Account.
- Roku mobile app or a Roku remote control.
Quick Steps of How to Get DirecTV Stream on Your Roku Device
Running out of time? Here are the quick steps to install DirecTV Stream on your Roku device:
- Go to your Roku home screen, select ‘Streaming Channels,’ and then ‘Search Channels.’
- Search for DirecTV Stream on the ‘Search Channels’ option.
- Add DirecTV Stream Channel and sign in with your credentials.
- Watch DirecTV Stream on your Roku device.
Detailed Steps of How to Install DirecTV Stream on Roku
Once you pay the AT&T TV subscription fee, you can watch your favorite content on DirecTV Stream via a Roku device. Here are the steps to follow:
- Press the ‘Home’ button on your Roku remote to access the main menu.
- Choose the ‘Search’ option and type AT&T TV or DirecTV Stream.
- Select ‘Add Channel’ to add the AT&T TV or DirecTV Stream channel to your Roku device.
- Wait for the channel to get added.
- Next, select ‘Go to Channel’ to launch AT&T TV (DirecTV) channel.
- Sign in with the username and password you provided during the signup process.
- That’s it! Search the content you want to watch on Roku from the DirecTV stream channel.
How to Add DirecTV Stream on Roku Via the Website
Here are the steps to install DirecTV Stream on Roku via the official website:
- Visit the official Roku channel website via a web browser, preferably Firefox, Google Chrome, or POPRISM Web Browser, on your Roku device.
- Search for the DirecTV Stream or AT&T TV channel from the search bar.
- Open the channel information page by clicking on ‘Details.’
- Select the purple ‘Add Channel’ button to add the DirecTV Stream channel to your device.
- Go to your Roku device and select the DirecTV Stream channel.
- Launch the app and sign in with your credentials.
- Access your favorite premium channels, including live sports events, on DirecTV stream via Roku.
How to Get DirecTV Stream (AT&T TV) On Roku Via Casting
You can use a mobile phone or computer to cast DirecTV Stream to your Roku device by following these steps:
- Go to the System option under Settings on your Roku device to find the Screen Mirroring Mode. Choose ‘Always Allow’ or ‘Prompt.’ If you set it on prompt, you’ll be alerted when a device attempts to cast to your TV screen.
- Connect your Roku device to the same Wi-Fi as your mobile device.
- Go to the respective app store for your Android or iOS device and download the DirecTV Stream application.
- Install the app and sign in to your DirecTV account with your login details.
- Select a title and start streaming on your phone.
- Click the ‘Cast’ icon on the top right corner of your phone and select the Roku device from the list.
- Enjoy watching DirecTV Stream on your big screen TV.
You can also cast DirecTV through a Windows PC using these steps:
- First, go to your browser’s official AT&T TV website.
- Sign in with your username and password.
- Next, press the Windows key + P on your keyboard.
- Choose the ‘Connect to a Wireless Display’ on the project tab.
- Find your Roku streaming device and select it.
- Watch your favorite DirecTV Stream content on your Roku device via a PC.
Compatible Roku Devices with AT&T TV or DirecTV Stream
Here’s a list of compatible Roku devices with DirecTV stream:
|Roku Streaming Stick
|3500X, 3600X, 3800X
|4640X, 4660X, 4661X, 4670X
|3700X, 3900X, 3930X
|Roku Smart Soundbar
|Non-4K Roku TV
|Roku Express +
|3710X, 3910X, 3931X
|Roku Streaming Stick+
|Roku Premiere +
|Roku 1 SE
Use the casting option if you own a Roku device incompatible with DirecTV Stream.
What To Do If AT&T TV Stops Working on Your Device
Here’s what you need to do if AT&T TV stops working on your Roku device:
- Check your internet connection to ensure it’s working correctly.
- When casting, your Roku and casting devices must be on the same Wi-Fi connection.
- Try streaming on another device if you suspect your Roku has a problem.
- Make sure you’re using the latest version of DirecTV Stream or the AT&T TV app.
- Uninstall and reinstall the app.
- Force close, clear data, or relaunch the app if you experience streaming errors.
- Reboot your Roku TV to refresh the cache.
AT&T TV is better than cable TV because it’s cheaper and has more content, including original shows you can’t find anywhere else. Also, you can watch AT&T TV (DirecTV Stream) on various devices, such as Firestick and Roku. Use this guide to install DirecTV on Roku or screencast if you don’t have a compatible Roku device.