Spam calls and telemarketing calls are now a days getting more and it may cause disturbance to people in most cases. Most of the spam filter application now available in the Play Store and App store have spam detecting features within which automatically blocks spam calls and messages.
Now a days the fraud calls are getting more and a large number of people receiving calls from different countries. The calls are coming frequently for some users and mostly which happens during the night. Some are just normal spam calls where as some calls are more problematic. Few months back, a series of mobile numbers in India received calls from one particular country and each user received multiple calls from different numbers.
Those who called back to those numbers lost their talktime balance from their account and later after investigation, it is found that the number from which the calls where received are premium numbers. The person/fraud group involved in the scam are using some premium numbers for the activity. For all the call back to those numbers, the mobile user in India are charged with high amount per minute. Since the number was premium, the hacker get a commission for each calls received on those numbers from the mobile company.
People tried to block the numbers, but the hacker used different numbers and also some new series of numbers hence the spam detecting applications such as True Caller etc didn’t detected them as spam call initially.
Here we are checking how we can block a number or a series of number or even calls from a particular country completely using the Truecaller mobile application. This steps will help to to block unknown numbers too.
Step 1: Open Truecaller application and click on the menu at the top left.
Step 2: Click on the ‘Setting’ option.
Step 3: From the settings list, click on the ‘Block’
Step 4: In the Block option, click on the ‘My block list’.
Step 5: Here, you can find all the previously blocked number list. If you are doing it for the first time, the list will be empty. Click on the ‘+’ icon at the bottom.
Step 6: You will find 4 options there
- Block a country code : Here you can block all the calls from a particular country. Select the country name from the options and click on BLOCK.
- Block a message sender name: Here you can block a message sender name. Provide the name of the person and click BLOCK.
- Block a number series: Here you can choose a series of numbers. Three options are available.
- Block either number starting with particular set of numbers.
- Block number that contains some set of numbers at any part.
- Block numbers that ends with a set of numbers.
- Block a number: Here you can block a particular number. Choose the country code, then the enter the number and provide a name for that (not required) and click on BLOCK.
After blocking the numbers, you may not receive call notification on your mobile once the call from the blocked list of numbers comes. All those calls will be automatically rejected (if you set the default reject option). Alternatively you can set the reject option to ‘Ring Silent’ from the ‘Block’ page. But we don’t recommend that option. It is better to keep the default ‘Reject Automatically’ option.